headerheaderheaderheader
photo

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Be An Encouragement!



I got an unexpected email today from a family friend. He's not someone I normally correspond with. I mean, we've never exchanged a text, a letter, or a Christmas card. We aren't Facebook friends or phone buddies. Our families just happen to be friends and he had to ask for my address from one of them.

Apparently, a chance conversation between us lingered in his mind. He wrote to encourage me about our discussion. His words poured like water on parched land. I soaked them up and read them again. The power of the written word is that I was able to do that, to savor his thoughts.

Years ago, when people corresponded by letters, many of them saved their mail. My grandmother cherished her letters and never threw one away. She was buried with all the letters my grandfather ever wrote to her. There was an art to letter writing that has been largely ignored today. And that's a shame. My friend brightened my day when he sent those thoughtful words.

The New Testament is filled with exhortations to encourage one another. In 1 Thessalonians 5:11, Paul writes, "Therefore, encourage one another and build up one another."

How many times have you thought of praising someone only you got too busy and never followed through? How many times have you brushed aside good intentions?

While you're pursuing publication, don't let a daily word count cause you to forget to encourage the people in your sphere of influence. Don't get so caught up with the people (characters) who only live inside your head that you fail to encourage those you live or work with. Write words to personally inspire those you love and admire.

~Roxanne Sherwood

1 comment:

Beth K. Vogt said...

Roxanne, a timely word. A good, sound reminder.
Now to go find my stash of stationery . . .